Division 45 sponsors two awards in the amount of $500 each to help assist with the cost of attending conferences. Ten awards are reserved to support travel to the APA convention. Five awards are reserved for travel to this year’s National Multicultural Conference and Summit.
Please consider applying for this award if you meet criteria, or forward on to eligible students or peers.
What are the APA Division 45 Student Travel Awards?
Scholarships of $500 will be awarded to assist with registration and housing costs. These scholarships are intended to increase Division 45 student member participation at the APA Convention and National Multicultural Conference and Summit.
Convention Travel Award Recipients:
- Allyson Regis (2014)
- Maria Espinola (2014)
- Octavio Santos (2014)
- Elizabeth Trent (2014)
- Hang Shim Lee (2014)
- Bridget Richardson (2014)
- Andrew Choi (2014)
- Tiffany Chang (2014)
- Sherri Taylor (2014)
- Gabrielle Poon (2014)
- Danielle Berke (2015)
- Christopher Decou (2015)
- Skylar Jackson (2015)
- Eluit Rivera (2015)
- Emily Unzueta (2015)
Chelsie Dunn (2016)
Christina Lam (2016)
Heather Key (2016)
I. Shujaa Miller (2016)
Yunkyoung Loh (2016)
General Travel Award Recipients:
Melissa Wheeler (2016)
Analia Abuja (2016)
Farzana Saleem (2016)
Johanna Collier (2016)
Sheena Mirpuri (2016)
Who is Eligible?
All undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in a psychology-related program are eligible to apply for this award. Preference will be given to first time attendees. Applicants must be current student members of APA Division 45. Consideration will be given to those students who demonstrate the following:
- Leadership Experience
- Conference, Presentations, and Symposiums
- Public Service and Community Activities
- Awards and Scholarships
How do I apply?
Students must complete and submit the application form located below. The deadline for the General Student Travel Award is due December 1st. The APA Convention Student Travel Award is due April 15th. Please note recommendations are due by the award deadline. Recommender’s will automatically receive a recommendation form after you submit your application. Be sure to allow adequate time for your recommender to complete his/her recommendation.
What are the application requirements?
Interested students will need to submit an application that includes the following:
- Application Form. The form requests contact information for the applicant, the student’s professional goals, presentation(s) during the conference, how attending the conference will help enhance professional development towards the research and practice of ethnic minority psychology, and financial need.
- Letter of Reference. A letter of reference from the student’s advisor or faculty mentor is needed who can verify enrollment, provide a general reference about the nominee, and the nominee’s commitment and potential for advancing ethnic minority issues. The person completing the form will be sent and email automatically to complete the form after the application form has been submitted. Be sure to complete the application in plenty of time for your recommender to complete the form in time for the deadline.
- Current CV
How is my application evaluated?
Application materials will be evaluated by a committee (comprised of the student representative and other Division 45 Executive Committee members) based on merit of application letter and students overall potential to advancing the psychology of ethnic minority communities.
How will I be notified?
Applicants will be notified via email regarding status of their application.
What are the conditions of award recipients?
Accepting the travel award commits the students to attending the entire conference. The Award will be based on following commitment by each awardee:
- Awardee will attend at least 3 presentations or events sponsored by Division 45
- Awardee will write a synopsis (1 page) of the presentations/events; two submissions will be selected for publication in FOCUS, newsletter of Division 45
- Awardee will attend the Division 45 student social and receive recognition at the event (only applies to the APA Convention)
You can access the applications here:
APA Convention Student Travel Award Application
General Student Travel Award Application
See the nominations page for more information about student awards.