Division 45 sponsors several travel awards to attend the National Multicultural Conference and Summit every other year. Division 45 allocates up to $500 each to help assist with the cost of attendance.
Please consider applying for this award if you meet criteria, or forward on to eligible students or peers.
What are the APA Division 45 Student Travel Awards?
Scholarships up to $500 will be awarded to assist with registration and housing costs. These scholarships are intended to increase Division 45 student member participation.
NMCS Travel Award Recipients:
- Ayli Carrero Pinedo (2017)
- Jacks Cheng (2017)
- Jasmine Jenkins (2017)
- Mona Elgohail (2017)
- Venus Mahmoodi (2017)
Who is Eligible?
All undergraduate, graduate students, and select few post-doctoral candidates currently enrolled in a psychology-related program are eligible to apply for this award. Preference will be given to first time attendees. Applicants must be current student members of APA Division 45. Consideration will be given to those students who demonstrate the following:
- Leadership Experience
- Conference, Presentations, and Symposiums
- Public Service an Community Activities
- Awards and Scholarships
How do I apply?
Students must complete and submit the application form located below. The NMCS Student Travel Award is due November 30th. Please note recommendations are due by the award deadline. Recommender’s will automatically receive a recommendation form after you submit your application. Be sure to allow adequate time for your recommender to complete his/her recommendation.
What are the application requirements?
Interested students will need to submit an application that includes the following:
- Application Form. The form requests contact information for the applicant, the student’s professional goals, presentation(s) during the conference, how attending the conference will help enhance professional development towards the research and practice of ethnic minority psychology, and financial need.
- Letter of Reference. A letter of reference from the student’s advisor or faculty mentor is needed who can verify enrollment, provide a general reference about the nominee, and the nominee’s commitment and potential for advancing ethnic minority issues. The person completing the form will be sent an email automatically to complete the form after the application form has been submitted. Be sure to complete the application in plenty of time for your recommender to complete the form in time for the deadline.
- Current CV (Abbreviated 2 Page)
How is my application evaluated?
Application materials will be evaluated by a committee (comprised of the student representative and other Division 45 Executive Committee members) based on merit of application letter and students’ overall potential to advancing the psychology of ethnic minority communities.
How will I be notified?
Applicants will be notified via email regarding status of their application.
What are the conditions of award recipients?
Accepting the travel award commits the students to attending the entire conference. The Award will be based on following commitment by each awardee:
- Awardee will attend at least 3 presentations or events sponsored by Division 45.
- Awardee will write a synopsis (1 page) of the presentations/events and why the Division 45 travel scholarship is beneficial. This synopsis will be featured in the Division 45 FOCUS newsletter.
- Awardee will attend the Division 45 student social and receive recognition at the event.
You can access the applications here:
NMCS Conference Travel Award Application